Mapping, also known as General Equivalence Mappings or GEMs, is a tool for converting ICD-10 PCS Procedure Codes to ICD-9 CM forward mapping and ICD-10-PCS to ICD-9 CM backward mapping. GEMs are a comprehensive translation dictionary that can be used to accurately and effectively translate any ICD-10-PCS-based data, including data for tracking quality; recording morbidity/mortality; calculating reimbursement;or converting any ICD-9-CM-based application to ICD 10-PCS.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH ICD-10-PCS MAPPING?
- Learn the relationship of ICD-10-PCS codes to ICD-9-CM codes
- Convert ICD-9-CM codes to ICD-10-PCS codes
- Convert ICD-10-PCS codes to ICD-9-CM codes
- Update diagnostic coding databases
- Create common code lists for training purposes