ICD-10 Essentials: Applying ICD-10-CM Guidelines is a companion resource for ICD-10-CM that provides in-depth explanations of everything from the basic format and structure of the ICD-10-CM code set to appropriate application of the coding conventions and guidelines. Using coding examples and case studies, correct code assignment is explained with an emphasis on application of the coding and reporting guidelines, including coding of complex conditions that require multiple codes with specific sequencing requirements. Illustrations, decision trees, and other coding tools designed to enhance understanding of ICD-10-CM and improve coding accuracy are key features in this reference.
Key Features and Benefits
• Optum360 Edge — Hundreds of coding examples/case studies. Examples and case studies illustrating application of each ICD-10-CM convention and guideline are provided.
• Optum360 Edge — Coding rationale. Coding examples and case studies: o Provide rationale for each ICD-10-CM code assigned o Describe the disease, injury, or other condition being treated o Define other relevant diagnostic and coding terms o Compare and contrast similar conditions and identify the correct diagnosis code based on the documentation provided o Identify and explain all applicable coding and reporting guidelines as well as coding instructions in the tabular
• Optum360 Edge — Designed for all levels of expertise. Coding examples and case studies tackle coding concepts ranging for the basic to advanced coder.
• Optum360 Edge — Illustrations. Both anatomical and disease/injury illustrations are provided to further enhance understanding.
• Citations to AHA Coding Clinic Articles. Use these references to locate the year, quarter, and page of the reference in your AHA Coding Clinic.