The hardening and narrowing of the arteries is called atherosclerosis. This disease silently and slowly blocks arteries, putting blood flow at the risk. The main function of the arteries is to carry blood from the heart to the rest of the body. For smooth and easy blood flow they are lined within the layers of cells. You can also go through the Coding Books 2018 to get the best coding books related to cardiology. All these books are available at Coding Materials.
Symptoms of atherosclerosis
Atherosclerosis starts when the endothelium becomes damaged, allowing the harmful type of cholesterol to build up in the artery wall. To clean up the cholesterol the body sends the type of white blood cells, but sometimes the cells get stuck at the affected sites. Over the time plaque can build up with the streaks of white blood cells appearing on the artery wall. The symptoms depend on which arteries are affected.
- For Carotid arteries: – These arteries provide blood to the brain. If this artery will be affected then the limited blood supply can lead to a stroke. A person may also experience weakness, difficulty in breathing, headache, paralysis and facial numbness.
- For Coronary arteries: – These arteries provide blood to the heart. When the blood supply to the heart is limited, then it can lead to heart attack. Its symptoms include vomiting, extreme anxiety, chest pain, coughing, and a person can also faint.
- For Renal arteries: – The main work of these arteries is to supply blood to the kidneys. If the blood supply is limited, there is a serious risk of developing chronic kidney disease. The person may also experience loss of appetite, swelling of the hands and feet and difficulty in concentrating.
Treatment of atherosclerosis
Treatment of atherosclerosis is important for preventing the complications of this disease. This disease can be treated through various medications, lifestyle changes, and surgical inventions. These are also mentioned in coding books.
- Diagnosis of the disease: The first step of the treatment of this disease includes the diagnosis of this disease. Symptoms of this disease do not show until the cardiovascular disease develops. Diagnosis will be based on the medical history, test results and a physical exam.
- Blood Tests: Through blood test we get to know how much sugar, fat and protein there is in blood. If there are high levels of fat and sugar it will indicate an increase risk of atherosclerosis.
- Physical Exam: You can examine your arteries through a doctor to check if there is unusual whooshing sound as a result of uneven blood flow. If this sound would be heard then there is a plaque obstructing the blood flow.
You can also opt for 2018 ICD-10-CM Quick Coder Card/Cardiology which is available at coding materials website codingmaterials.com with a discounted price.