Healthcare is quite a complex sector. Every day you discover something you haven’t heard of. Let me make it very clear, We are not only talking about the physicians we are here referring to health information technicians as well, who do not deal with the patients directly but play a very important role in other activities like coding, billing and reimbursement. Since the inception of ICD-10 medical coders are facing a lot of troubles but these concerns are not as major as it seems. In this blog we will dig into How to face the challenges of Medical Coding and master it efficiently.
Before going any further let us look at the brief of what medical coding actually is? It is a part of Medical billing process where the coder assigns codes to the diagnosis given by the doctor, categorization of visit, medicines prescribed etc, this is done for the insurance company to go through the whole report which is compact and easy to handle. Codes which are used for claim includes CPT, ICD and HCPCS. People find medical coding a bit hard; they even refer it as alien language but what make it tough are the three major coding systems which are entirely different to each other. If we understand those systems properly then medical coding can be regarded as one of the most successful career.
Coming on to the real challenge-unlike Human antomy, medical coding works in black and white which means everything must be clear and crisp. All the complex diagnosis must be well understood and converted thereafter. The second challenge that you might face is to cope up with the current changes. The constant changes which are going on in the industry must be well regulated otherwise you will have to face a lot of denials that will hamper your work and integrity.
To master Medical coding all you have to do is gather information and work with utmost self-motivation, focus and diligence. Here are few tips that you can follow and you are good to go.
• Use Flashcards, make notes, go for online quizzes and practice every day.
• Keep an eye on the changes that are regularly taking place in the industry.
• Stay committed towards your practice and always remember that you are a learner whole of your life.
• Do not treat medical coding as an alien concept; instead think it to be an interesting foreign language that will help you during your career.
• Medical coding is an expanding sector and thus working hard in this field can take you to great heights.
• Check on your errors; be very careful while preparing a report and check all the simple information including patient info, provider info and insurance info. Minor mistake can also lead to huge claim denial.
• Use a split screen while working so that you can work on one section and check for references on the other.
• Ask your supervisors or seniors about short-cuts to save time.
In nutshell, medical coding is not as complex as it seems. You may follow the above given tips to work effectively and efficiently for huge success. If you have some more tips regarding the same do let us know in the comment section below. Also, if you are in need of any medical coding books, Ebooks or any other resources for your assistance you can browse through codingmaterials.com and buy stuff at an exclusive 30% discount.